I am a Mormon stay-at-home-mom of six. Yeah, I know, "that's a lot of kids"! Sometimes it truly is A LOT. Most of the time it's not. It's simply put...our normal. On my page you'll find spiritual thoughts, tales of trials, happy moments, recipes, funny stories, and more. Enjoy!!






Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Panting like a dog...

How many of you really thought this post was about a dog?  Although our little chihuahua/jack russell terrier is sweet and cute and the best dog ever...she is not what I was thinking of at the moment.

Thinking of getting healthy...it would be crazy for me not to mention making sure that you are exercising.  You can lose weight by changing how and what you eat, but if you want to get fit and make your body stronger you need to exercise.  There's no way around it.  And once a person hits their 30's, 40's and 50's it gets harder and harder to lose those pounds a person has been meaning to lose all those years ago.  Why not start now?  Why not make the effort for a better you? You deserve it!

Today I did a workout that I haven't done in a while.  I thought I would breeze through it because I have flown through a lot of my old workouts lately.  I am stronger than I have ever been. But, alas, I was SO very wrong.  After about 30 seconds into the DVD I was panting like a dog.  I kept reminding myself to breathe, and to regulate those breaths.  I kept telling myself I could push through this.  And at one point I almost quit.  I let the negative thinking slip in  and I almost gave in to it.  When I don't finish something I started it's very frustrating to me.  I want to finish and finish well.  So, I pushed aside those thoughts and started reminding myself I only had 10 more minutes to go.  I told myself I could do it.  I pushed harder. I breathed deeply between exercises.  I willed the cramp in my side to disappear and refocused on breathing deeply.  And I finished!  I made it through; while panting insanely and sweating profusely.  I am soaked and gross, but I am feeling triumphant!  And now I have energy.  Energy to face my day.  Energy to focus on my kids.  Energy to make good food choices.  Energy to do a plank....just because I want to.  And energy to feel happy and positive.  THIS feeling is what I do these workouts for.  I do it for all those endorphins that are now flying.  I do it to prove to myself that I can.  It's like going to my very own pep rally.  I'm pumped!

I fight an internal battle every single day.  A battle that wages my lazy side and the side of me that desires desperately to be fit and healthy.  It's not easy, but I find that the more I push forward and exercise and eat right the more I WANT to do it.

This week, eat a fruit or vegetable you've never had before.  When cooking vegetables use REAL butter or olive oil.  Some people even use coconut oil; it's extremely healthy for you.  Use salt, pepper and spices for flavor, if you desire.  Saute, bake or grill it.  Yum. Now my mouth is watering.  :)

On Sunday someone shared a box full of fresh veggies from their garden and I grabbed a very large patty pan squash. I didn't even know the name of it.  It's quite large and I guess when they are smaller they can be sliced and eaten similarly to a yellow summer squash or zucchini.  We are going to try it out.

Now is a great time to do grilled foil dinners.  Cut some potatoes into cubes.  Cut bell peppers, onions, summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, carrots and any other veggies you like.  We even use frozen veggies. Use large pieces of aluminum foil that are about 12-15 inches in length.  Spray with canola or olive oil.  Place potatoes and vegetables onto the center of the foil. Add seasonings, salt and pepper and a square of  butter.  Grill until potatoes are cooked through.

Steer clear of prepacked seasoning mixes.  They will inevitably contain artificial preservatives, tons of extra salt, and MSG.  Find recipes for spice mixes online.  Get creative.  Make your food taste delicious while staying healthy. Your body will thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment