I am a Mormon stay-at-home-mom of six. Yeah, I know, "that's a lot of kids"! Sometimes it truly is A LOT. Most of the time it's not. It's simply put...our normal. On my page you'll find spiritual thoughts, tales of trials, happy moments, recipes, funny stories, and more. Enjoy!!






Friday, September 20, 2013

Gluten Free and junk free barbecue sauce

Today I wanted to make the boneless ribs that I bought when they were on sale a couple of months ago.  They just sound good.  I have been eating gluten free for 2 1/2 weeks now and want to continue my journey to see the results.  I took out the barbecue sauce and read the label. Sure...it's gluten free...but not junk free.  I cringe every time I see high fructose corn syrup on a label. That the first ingredient on the list.  Great!  Bottled junk. 

I went searching online and found this recipe.  It's easy and I made a couple of modifications to make sure it is gluten free and to accommodate the fact that I didn't have everything on the list.  I may try it with honey next time.  Be sure to check out the recipe on the blog to see where I altered it.


Gluten Free Barbecue Sauce
INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 cups Light Brown Sugar, packed {this step is crucial so the vinegar is balanced}
16 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Water (optional)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins in the USA is Gluten Free...check the label)
2-1/2 teaspoons Ground Mustard
2 teaspoons Paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Measure and add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk well until the sugar has dissolved and the spices are thoroughly distributed. Serve immediately or cover and store in fridge or freeze!

*NOTE* for a thicker sauce, simply omit the water. :)


Also, to keep this sauce high-fructose corn syrup free, use an all-natural or organic ketchup, but even better... make your own

I made 1/2 a batch this time, just in case it didn't turn out.  But I am pleasantly surprised!  It is sweet and tangy, just the way I like it!  I poured the entire amount over the boneless ribs in my crock pot.  I'll make potatoes and veggies to finish off the meal.  I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Have a fantastically wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment