The things I have missed the most about Maine...
1. chipmunks - they're so cute and tiny. I love how they scurry about.
2. the sweet smell of the woods - after being in cities for several years I have forgotten how wonderful the country smells. It's a beautiful thing! There is actually a sweetness to the air.
3. green - it's green everywhere and I love it!
4. rocks - I love the huge rocks all over the place. And the kids love them too. They're great for climbing on and playing on and laying on and posing on. Now I feel like Dr. Seuss...
5. lakes - they're so pretty and clean. That might sound lame, but if you've lived in Missouri or Texas you know that their lakes are just NOT. Add to that...the drinking water is just delicious here too.
6. hard work - there's a lot of hard work to be done. I believe that learning to work hard is a very important part of life. In the city my children did not learn to do work that is as hard as work here is. I love seeing them try and succeed.
7. NO poisonous critters, bugs, or snakes - In Texas we had brown recluse spiders, black widow spiders, scorpions, fire ants, water moccasins, and who knows what else...maybe an alligator in the lake. Haha! There was talk of one in the town we lived in. EEEK! I never felt safe to let my kids explore. Especially in Texas. But here in Maine, they have found frogs, a red spotted newt (which is so stinking cool!), and harmless spiders. I even found a really weird leaf bug on the road one day. That was a little creepy but cool at the same time.
They can dig in the dirt and not get stung by fire ants. They can lay on the lawn and roll around if that floats their boat. Although, Colin needs to be cautious of bees now. He got stung over the weekend and swelled up quite nicely. Ooops!
8. Wildlife - It's everywhere. And it's gorgeous! One day Colin and I saw a white tailed deer in the woods just watching us. It was beautiful.
9. The ocean - It's simply amazing to take the family to the ocean to swim in frigid water, find crabs and other sea creatures, walk on the rocks along the shore, collect shells and rocks, feel the salty breeze and breath the salty air. It's soothing for the soul.
10. Friends - There's nothing like going to the store and running into a friend you haven't seen in years. Or just being able to visit with old friends and catch up. It makes my heart happy.
11. Family - It's an added bonus to be able to live close by to family. They are all a blessing in our lives!
Count your blessings today. See how blessed you truly are.