I am a Mormon stay-at-home-mom of six. Yeah, I know, "that's a lot of kids"! Sometimes it truly is A LOT. Most of the time it's not. It's simply put...our normal. On my page you'll find spiritual thoughts, tales of trials, happy moments, recipes, funny stories, and more. Enjoy!!






Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A Mother's Work is Never Done

Yesterday I knew it was going to be a busy day.  I had it all planned out.  It did not go according to plan.  But things rarely do...and you just have to learn to roll with it.

Having a family, of any size, takes a considerable amount of work.  There is not a lot of "free time".  Usually what "free time" really means is something else got put on hold so that mom and dad could have some R & R.  There is ALWAYS something to do.

I used to think that it was busy, crazy and hard to have an infant or toddler.  At one point we had an infant, a 2 year old and an almost 4 year old.  At that point we had three in diapers.  Oh yeah.  THAT was fun!  It was constant.  Diapers.  Baths. Nursing. Cleaning. Chasing. Severe sleep deprivation.

I wouldn't change it for ANYTHING!

Somehow I thought that eventually things would slow down as the kids got older.  I thought that I would sleep more.  Haha!  I thought that I would have more "free time".  Well, haha, I am still looking forward to that day.

Right now I have one in pull-ups...she'll turn 4 tomorrow.  All of my kids have potty trained late.  And potty training is my very least favorite part of having children.  They seem to know that and so they just keep delaying the inevitable...I guess.

Instead of gaining the elusive "free time" I have gained new challenges.  This, I have come to understand, is simply a part of life.

So, back to yesterday...
I needed to package the venison that my husband and two oldest boys cut up over the weekend.  I also needed to get to the store.  And now...when I say store...I mean several stores.  It's never a quick trip to the store when providing for 8 people.

We were out of milk. You'd think it was the END OF THE WORLD!  And powdered milk has such a bad rep that they all wine and complain if they have to use it.  So, off to the store I went, with my almost 4 year old in tow.

We first had to return the wrestling shoes that I purchased on Saturday because my 2nd son couldn't squeeze his huge feet into the tiny hole.  Haha!  Then we stopped at BJ's (like a Sam's Club or Costco) for several items.  Next...30 minutes back into town...we stopped at Save A Lot for the items we could purchase there, for a decent price.  Then to the High School to drop of the wrestling shoes to my son...who NEEDED them that day.  Walmart. Hannaford. Tupperware lady. *sigh*

Then home.

Remember that meat that I needed to package...yeah.  After we put away all of the groceries I began packaging the venison.  I am SO thankful for that meat!  And my  kids absolutely love it.  It's a great blessing to us.

I glanced at the clock...5:00pm already!  Oh my goodness!  I enlisted the help of my husband to get the meat finished while I cleaned pans...yeah dishes hadn't gotten cleaned yet...and started dinner.  Dinner was finished. Next paperwork called my name that needed to be filled out and sent back.

Then we gathered the family for Family Home Evening.  It's a short spiritual lesson that we have each week with our family.  This lesson was about self reliance; what that means and how we can apply it.  Good lesson!

By that time it was after 8pm and and passed time to get the little ones to bed.  Jammies, snuggle time, hugs and kisses, and bedtime prayer.

All of the sudden it was 9pm and I knew that if I didn't get to bed I would be exhausted at 4:50 am this morning.

I've heard so many negative things about those who are able to be a Stay-at-home-mom.  What I have come to realize is that it's the most challenging, most busy and crazy, most rewarding job that anyone could have.  I am the cook, baker, cleaning lady, secretary, chauffeur, schedule coordinator, manager, mediator, accountant, and more. I am privileged to be able to comfort my kids when they need me.  I am able to tell them I love them every day as they walk out the door and climb onto the bus. I can make them healthy food. I am able to be there when they are excited about something...or sad.  I am able to teach them and train them.

What greater joy could there be in the world.  Motherhood is the greatest!


No comments:

Post a Comment